Teach Students to Think Like a Nurse not only provides a roadmap for teaching clinical judgment, the text also offers a set of tools that transform the way you teach through the practical application of case studies, worksheets, and quick reference guides.
- Comprehensive textbook
300-page textbook for educators of nursing students, which emphasizes a practice-based approach so students can apply their learnings immediately.
- Case studies
Clinical case studies that engage students, allowing them to practice what they’ve learned and develop critical thinking skills.
- Reference Guides & Worksheets
A quick medication guide, sample patient assessment form, and care planning map make learning active, so students retain the knowledge gained.
Receive a free e-book of this textbook.
All-inclusive membership is your best value, with free textbooks, unlimited access to over 200 case studies, exclusive topics, and video teaching aides.
Get started today!Join Now
Teaching the Art of Nursing
- Clinical Dilemma Case Study: Anxiety or Spiritual Distress? Practice the art of nursing with this dilemma that emphasizes the importance of holistic care.
Teaching the Applied Sciences
- Worksheet: Medications to Master. Blank worksheet that uses the “Pharm. 5” questions to guide student learning of what is most important.
- Worksheet: Lab Planning. Blank worksheet guides student learning of most important lab data and develops a lab plan-of-care by identifying essential nursing assessments for relevant abnormal labs.
Teaching Clinical Reasoning
- Template: Clinical Reasoning Questions to Develop Nurse Thinking. The foundational tool to develop clinical reasoning in students. This template can be the primary care planning tool for advanced clinical instead of a traditional care plan.
Teaching in Clinical
- Template: Deep Learning of What’s Most Important in Clinical. Prepares students for your clinical rotation by identifying the meds, labs, problems, complications, and nursing skills that need to be known.
- Worksheet: Patient Preparation. Simplified clinical prep tool for advanced students. It’s just like the worksheet I use in my clinical practice.
Pearls from Clinical Educators
- Quick Medication Guide: Concise summary of major pharm classes to help students quickly grasp the most common classes and the prefixes/suffixes they have in common. Contributed by Nancy Delmont.
- Patient Assessment Form. Guide that highlights physical assessment and resultant care priorities. Great for clinical education with beginning students. Contributed by Patricia Pence.
- Care Web: Concept map format of care planning that will help students make needed connections between clinical data. Contributed by Claudette Abounader.
Teaching in the Classroom
- Template: Transform My Lecture. Word doc. quickly identifies eight essential components of a concise need-to-know presentation.
- Heart Failure Clinical Reasoning 1-2-3. Three clinical reasoning case studies on heart failure. Complete with PDF of blank student version and fully-developed answer key.