Teach Students to Think Like a Nurse not only provides a roadmap for teaching clinical judgment, the text also offers a set of tools that transform the way you teach through the practical application of case studies, worksheets, and quick reference guides.
- Comprehensive textbook
300-page textbook for educators of nursing students, which emphasizes a practice-based approach so students can apply their learnings immediately.
- Case studies
Clinical case studies that engage students, allowing them to practice what they’ve learned and develop critical thinking skills.
- Reference Guides & Worksheets
A quick medication guide, sample patient assessment form, and care planning map make learning active, so students retain the knowledge gained.
Receive a free e-book of this textbook.
All-inclusive membership is your best value, with free textbooks, unlimited access to over 200 case studies, exclusive topics, and video teaching aides.
Get started today for only $1!Join Now
Teaching the Art of Nursing
- Clinical Dilemma Case Study: Anxiety or Spiritual Distress? Practice the art of nursing with this dilemma that emphasizes the importance of holistic care.
Teaching the Applied Sciences
- Worksheet: Medications to Master. Blank worksheet that uses the “Pharm. 5” questions to guide student learning of what is most important.
- Worksheet: Lab Planning. Blank worksheet guides student learning of most important lab data and develops a lab plan-of-care by identifying essential nursing assessments for relevant abnormal labs.
Teaching Clinical Reasoning
- Template: Clinical Reasoning Questions to Develop Nurse Thinking. The foundational tool to develop clinical reasoning in students. This template can be the primary care planning tool for advanced clinical instead of a traditional care plan.
Teaching in Clinical
- Template: Deep Learning of What’s Most Important in Clinical. Prepares students for your clinical rotation by identifying the meds, labs, problems, complications, and nursing skills that need to be known.
- Worksheet: Patient Preparation. Simplified clinical prep tool for advanced students. It’s just like the worksheet I use in my clinical practice.
Pearls from Clinical Educators
- Quick Medication Guide: Concise summary of major pharm classes to help students quickly grasp the most common classes and the prefixes/suffixes they have in common. Contributed by Nancy Delmont.
- Patient Assessment Form. Guide that highlights physical assessment and resultant care priorities. Great for clinical education with beginning students. Contributed by Patricia Pence.
- Care Web: Concept map format of care planning that will help students make needed connections between clinical data. Contributed by Claudette Abounader.
Teaching in the Classroom
- Template: Transform My Lecture. Word doc. quickly identifies eight essential components of a concise need-to-know presentation.
- Heart Failure Clinical Reasoning 1-2-3. Three clinical reasoning case studies on heart failure. Complete with PDF of blank student version and fully-developed answer key.