Overview of Dilemma
Holistic nursing care entails caring for not just the physical needs of every patient, but also the soul (emotional) and the spirit. In this dilemma, a patient with a stage IV lung cancer has a strong faith and belief system, but his illness is beginning to cause him to question his faith. How the nurse can practically support and care for his emotional and spiritual needs in this context is the essence of this patient dilemma.
1. Develop “art” of Nursing
- By emphasizing importance of caring, compassion, and spiritual care.
2. Develop Ethical Decision Making
- By applying ethical decision making to real-life dilemmas of practice.
3. Develop Professional Behaviors
- By emphasizing how a nurse acts as a nursing professional.