Case Study Scenario:
John Richards is a 45-year-old male who presents to the emergency department (ED) with abdominal pain and worsening nausea and vomiting the past three days that have not resolved. He is feeling more fatigued and has had a poor appetite the past month. He denies any ETOH (alcohol) intake the past week, but admits to episodic binge drinking on most weekends. John weighs 150 pounds (68.2 kg) and is 6’0″ (BMI 17.6). You are the nurse responsible for his care.
1. Develop Critical Thinking
- By applying and using knowledge most important to practice
2. Develop Clinical Reasoning
- By recognizing relevant clinical data to identify the nursing priority
3. Develop Clinical Judgment
- Outcome when student interprets, notices, and responds appropriately