was successfully added to your cart.
Nurse ThinkingYouTube

Video #2: Most Important Skill That Students Need to Practice

By February 8, 2018 February 1st, 2019 9 Comments

How to Engage Students in Your Classroom

Most educators struggle to engage students in the classroom. Some students even resist and insist on being spoon fed!

What’s an educator to do? I’ll show you a simple strategy that is also educational best practice to hook your students and get them active and willing participants in the learning process!

FREE PDF Download:

PDF#1: Heart_Failure-SKINNY_Reasoning case study

• Classroom-ready! Complete with student version and a fully developed answer key!

PDF #2: PowerPoint Slides-How_to_Practice_Clinical_Reasoning

• Full-size PowerPoint slides/notes that you can use to present this case study in your classroom!

PRIOR Videos (Go back to view if you missed it!)

Video #1: Clinical Reasoning Made Simple

Video #3: Five Steps to Strengthen Student Learning

Video #4: How to Better Prepare Students for the NCLEX® and Clinical Practice

Author Keith Rischer

More posts by Keith Rischer

Join the discussion 9 Comments

• Gwen Reed says:

Keith,
    I do a CHF simulation with semester II students each year. I used both your clinical reasoning questions and your HF skinny reasoning case study last year and it really helped my students apply the information they learned in their respiratory and cardiac theory content. Thank you for giving me the tools to help my students apply the knowledge they have.

Gwen Reed MS, RN, Paramedic, CEN

• Keith Rischer says:

You are very welcome Gwen and thanks for sharing that these simple strategies I shared that are educational best-practice can be replicated by other educators who implement them!

• Kathleen Rogers says:

I will be able to take these strategies and modify them to the level of my students. My students are pre-licensure BSN in a holistic nursing practice course. They are currently exploring fundamental skills-psychomotor, cognitive and critical thinking. I am excited to learn more.

• Mabel Morton RN MSN says:

I am eager to obtain your 50 case studies. I have used many of your fundamental cases and am thrilled and amazed at how much the students are learning to apply the textbook theory. The students like them, because they are helping with their grades. These are Practical nurses, learning at this advanced level. I am very proud of them and tell them this. Thank you so very much!

• Keith Rischer says:

You are very welcome Mabel! I am excited to see you raise the bar of learning for practical students by using the same foundational principles of clinical reasoning that I used in RN programs where I taught. Keep up the great work!

• Dawn Page says:

I teach first year and have been using your case studies for several years now starting with the second 8 weeks. I find them excellent at teaching students how to apply the knowledge they have learned both through assigning them for points and using them as a classroom activity (though I do find it difficult to find the time to apply in the classroom. As you know in the first year they lack the overall knowledge and must have these concepts explained and explored).
    I am now trying to use them more in the 2nd semester where it seems to be working better. Thank you for presenting the tools and the steps on how to apply them, which all other resources that I have looked at seem to lack (they simply just state that “flipping the classroom” must be applied).

• Keith Rischer says:

Thank you, Dawn, for all that you are doing to strengthen the learning of your students!
      Your observation about how fundamental students struggle with some of the advanced thinking of clinical reasoning is why I created five different levels of case studies. For your fundamental students, use my FUNDAMENTAL Reasoning level that emphasizes the application of the sciences of pharmacology, F&E with labs, A&P, and basic nursing process and care planning. My new level SKINNY reasoning is brief, concise and very basic that could also be used with these same students and is short enough to use in class!

• Nancy Delmont says:

After watching you do the case study, I feel a lot better about what I have done with your case studies. Thank you for developing these case studies and doing all you do to help teach educators how to help student think like a nurse.
    Nancy Delmont, MSN, RN

• Sherry Yancosek says:

Keith
    This is just what we need to help our students to “Think Like a Nurse”. these tools are very useful in the classroom/post conference. I am teaching Fundamentals right now, but even there, I can incorporate some of the essential points to help student think about priorities and application of basic knowledge.