was successfully added to your cart.
Nurse ThinkingYouTube

Video #1: Clinical Reasoning Made Simple

By February 7, 2018 February 1st, 2019 25 Comments

What do clinical reasoning and handwashing have in common?

Every skill taught including handwashing must be broken down into a series of steps that must be done and in the right order.

Teaching students to clinically reason is the most important skill nurse educators teach and it too has a series of sequential steps to develop this essential nurse thinking skill.

See what they are and then download the PDF below to help your students think like a nurse!

Grab your FREE PDF Downloads:

PDF #1: Clinical-Reasoning-Questions

PDF #2: Five Rights of Clinical Reasoning

Watch the rest of the videos in this series to strengthen your practice!

Video #2: The Most Important Skill that Students Need to Practice (+ FREE case study!)

Video #3: Five Steps to Strengthen Student Learning

Video #4: How to Better Prepare Students for Practice and the NCLEX®

Author Keith Rischer

More posts by Keith Rischer

Join the discussion 25 Comments

• Linda says:

Thank you! Excellent! You are appreciated! Thanks for the handouts!

• Susan Priest says:

Keith, great stuff and congratulations! Your proactive work is appreciated. I will pilot this for a clinical group this semester with last semester students rotating through critical care.

• Keith Rischer says:

Susan, thank you for the feedback and just an FYI, but the clinical reasoning questions in this template are best suited for advanced students, so your critical care students would be an excellent group to road test this with. Stay in touch and let me know how things go!

• Angela Green-jones says:

great topics to ponder…..thanks!

• Judy Mahan says:

I, like you, have tons of clinical experience. I teach LVN students in a small location in Northern California Sierras. I have been starving to put this together. This cohort is in its second semester, but I’m going to start putting it in practice.

• Keith Rischer says:

Wonderful Judy! The questions I have developed capture the essence of how you and nurses practically think in the clinical setting. Thank you for taking the next step of putting it into practice and getting your students practice ready!

• Kathleen Rogers says:

We are creating an online competency for senior level practicum students. These questions will assist me and my colleagues in designing the online format questions to an unfolding case scenario. Thank you very much!!

• Keith Rischer says:

You are very welcome Kathleen. Thank you for all that you are doing to strengthen student learning in your program!

• Terry Cottle says:

Hi Keith, great information. I agree, the idea to “answer in their own words” can lead to “thinking in action” when at the bedside. I am looking forward to the remaining content!

• Kim Foisy says:

This is exactly what I am looking for. My senior students are still not able to focus, plan and replan. AND it is often forgotten to look at new orders and why! The tickler sheet is fabulous and I will be implementing this tomorrow.

• Keith Rischer says:

Thanks for sharing Kim and putting this content to use with your students! Let me know how things go in clinical tomorrow!

• Karla Johnston says:

Excellent video!!! I plan to take the handout with me to my next lab experience and ask questions of the students and assist them in finding the answers. I am also planning to use this in lecture time. Stop and ask the deep thinking questions. I am becoming more emboldened to try this approach. Thank you!

• Keith Rischer says:

You can do it Karla and love that you plan to incorporate these questions into your classroom. This is a great place to practice the essence of clinical reasoning and get them thinking!

• Kathleen Pecinka says:

Hi Keith,
    Thank you, thank you for your information and wisdom. As a fairly new faculty member your material has been priceless in helping me best teach my students to “think like a nurse”. Keep the blogs, videos, material and books coming!!

• Susan Growe says:

Hi Keith,
    This is an outstanding video! I am going to use the first 8 questions in some of my pathophysiology chapters to get the students prepared to start thinking like a nurse! Very wise information in your young years!
    Thank you for sharing and being proactive for the students as well as the faculty!!!

• Keith Rischer says:

Thanks Susan for sharing! Patho is an excellent place to contextualize this content because it addresses the WHY of the primary problem, rationale for pharmacology, and understanding the most common complications.

• Vicki Underhill says:

Enjoyed your talk. Although my students are practical nursing students, I’m concerned that we are overloading them with content but not preparing them enough for their nursing career. Although we have 100% NCLEX® pass rate, we need to do more. Thank you.

• Keith Rischer says:

I appreciate your insight Vicki, that NCLEX® success does not translate to practice readiness. Take small steps to decrease content overload and identify what is most important. Will share some practical strategies in upcoming videos so stay tuned!

• Noor Asiah Binti Md. Noor asiah_mdnoor says:

I have watched your first video and I found it really helpful to me in my teaching. I want to say thank you for giving me as an educator a very good guide to educate our students!

• Dawn Summers says:

Awesome video. I am using these tricks in my classroom and witnessing improvement in engagement and application of knowledge.

• Holly says:

Thank you for the informative clinical reasoning questions. I utilized them as art of an assessment simulation class, where the patient was initially stable, then compensated. the students enjoyed the educational experience, and the questions stimulated their clinical thinking.

• Kim R. says:

Ah Keith, what a refreshing website and video! I am thankful for your insight and motivation to help change the novice nurse landscape from NANDA’s impotence to practice empowerment via the excellent resources you’ve developed. Thank you for sharing – I will use this information – this week and beyond – to enhance my students’ educational journey!

• Rosemarie Baker says:

I think you have captured the process nurse educators need to follow to guide their students in a planned, organized, and mindful way. I am a director for 4 practical nursing programs on 2 campuses. We are going to begin the process of modifying our clinical paperwork, so the timing here is perfect. These are great questions, and I am planning to bring them to my faculty to brainstorm the needed modifications to students’ clinical documents.
    Thank you Keith!

• Mary says:

Again, Thank you for your excellent thoughts on this issue. I have attempted to use your forms in the past with my students and they look at them as more work because our school uses other forms. With me just asking these questions in preconference I hope to get better responses.