Clinical reasoning is the ability of the nurse to THINK in ACTION and reason as a situation changes over time by capturing and UNDERSTANDING the significance of clinical trajectories.
Educating Nurses: A Call for Radical Transformation
Incorporating clinical reasoning in nursing education is much more than a needed pedagogy change, it can be a matter of life and death! When a nurse in practice fails to rescue a patient with a change in status such as sepsis, the consequence could be a preventable patient death. Therefore, there must be a sense of urgency to effectively situate this needed emphasis especially in the clinical setting where it can be easily “caught” when it is “taught” by faculty.
As a practicing nurse and nurse educator, I have created numerous handouts that situate clinical reasoning within the clinical setting. These resources have been “field tested” by my students and revised and improved to promote your learning!
CLICK HERE to download my most popular clinical reasoning resources (top 5) for students including my highly regarded template of clinical reasoning questions that will prepare you to THINK like a nurse!
or ALL of my clinical reasoning resources including what is in the FREE download (13 files) in the STUDENT Essentials bundle for $10 that all goes to support Viscly, a Haitian nursing student!
Files in FREE Download:
1. Clinical Reasoning Questions To Develop Nurse Thinking: My most popular download! This essential template of nurse thinking breaks down clinical reasoning step by step so you can completely understand and APPLY it to practice
2. Comprehending Cardiac Medications handout: Strengthen your mastery of cardiac meds and pharmacology. How do the most common cardiac medications impact this patho formula? CO=SVxHR. This worksheet will tell you how!
3. Sepsis: Unfolding Reasoning Clinical Reasoning Case Study
4. THINK Like a Nurse! Practical Preparation for Professional Practice: Preview the preface, foreword, and introduction of my new book. Available for purchase only on KeithRN.
5. For Your Joy by John Piper: This is the only resource I did not write, but is the most important. Lasting joy cannot come from what we do, but who we know…
STUDENT Essentials Bundle ($10) includes these additional files:
CLICK HERE to purchase
- Handout: Comprehending Cardiac Medications: If you struggle with understanding pharm DEEPLY, this handout has been a highly requested resource!
- Handout: Clinical lab Values and Nursing Responsibilities: Will help you develop a plan of care around relevant abnormal lab values. I call this “Lab planning” and is a needed “nurse thinking” skill that must be practiced
- Worksheet: “Lab Planning”-Lab Tests That Must Be Mastered: Worksheet to make it simple to incorporate “lab planning” into clinical practice
- Handout: Most Common Categories of Medications: Summary of meds used in practice with basic responsibilities grouped according to pharm classifications
- Worksheet: Medications to Master: Simplified med prep of five foundational questions that must be understood BEFORE you administer any medication. See my YouTube video on this topic to see how important this is to practice!
- Handout: Professional Responsibilities as a Student Nurse: What does professional behavior look like in practice? Check out this checklist and see how you are doing!